Thursday, September 11, 2008

Meet The Teacher

Tonight is Meet-the-teacher night at Magrath Elementary School.  Sessions will run from 7:00-7:20, 7:25-7:45, and 7:50-8:10, with a new family orientation at 6:30 in the library.  Parents of grade one students will now meet in Mrs. Hatch's room, which is the first classroom after the library in the main elementary hall.  If any parents are wishing to meet with Mrs. Thomson, she will be available till 9:00pm in her room after the sessions conclude.

For those unable to make the event tonight, watch for a curriculum handout to come home with your students, as well as a permission form regarding information used on this website.  The curriculum handout outlines everything that the Alberta Education program of studies mandates teachers instruct in the first grade subject areas.

Here is a little bit about Mrs. Thomson:

This is my first year teaching and also my first year in grade one, so just like your child I have a lot to learn!  But I am just as excited to be here.  I earned my Bachelor of Education and my Bachelor of Science at the University of Lethbridge, and I spent the last year subbing in the Lethbridge and Westwind school districts.  I love teaching and have a particular fondness for early childhood literature.

I was born in the Northwest Territories, Canada, but I was raised in Southern Alberta and now reside in Magrath with my husband and two children.  As a family we love to read, watch good movies, play board games and go for walks.  In my spare time I read a lot, write and sew, and I am working hard at running, bicycling and swimming as I have set a goal to participate in the Magrath Triathlon next summer.

Before I was a teacher I studied marine biology in sunny Hawaii and even worked with two bottlenose dolphins and 18 African Blackfooted Penguins at the west Edmonton Mall.  I really enjoyed those opportunities, but I am so pleased to be here now at this wonderful school.

I can't wait to get to know each of my students better.  I am enjoying their personalities and marvel at the wonder they see in the world.  This will be a wonderful year to grow in Mrs. Thomson's Grade One Garden!

No comments: